I remember that song… Burning down the house.
Daily Prompt: Burning Down the House Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are safe). What did you grab?
- My box of pictures
- My scrapbook from our wedding
- My camera and my dad’s camera (which are in the same camera bag)
- Damn, there’s no way I could take all my books but I have a first edition Stephen King book I’d have to grab
- The self portrait my daughter sketched of herself
See this is not easy…I never want my home to catch on fire because I’d be running around like a mad woman trying to grab things…”just give me a wheelbarrow and I’ll throw stuff in and wheel it right on outta there!”
The things I’d want to take but didn’t mention:
- All of our family pictures that are framed and on walls in our home
- Artwork that was bought for us or made for us
- ALL of my books and the bookcases (the bookcases are family heirlooms)
- My movie collection (I’ve already had to replace or still need to replace a bunch thanks to an ex)
- My coffee pot and my favorite coffee mug
After reading the list(s) of things I’d want to save it’s even more apparent how utterly sentimental I am. My husband bought my camera for me for my birthday last year. And my dad’s camera was the first gift that my mom bought for him. The pictures are self-evident, the bookcases are family heirlooms, and I can’t replace the artwork that was handmade especially for us or for me. Regular material things can be replaced, but the sentimental things hold value not for monetary purposes but for sentimental purposes…I’m looking forward to reading other posts about this.
On a side note: It’s definitely time to get a new smoke detector.
- daily prompt – burning down the house (thegranoladiaries.com)
- Daily Prompt: Burning Down the House, What is grabbed? (layedbacklife.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Burning Down the House (jewelammons.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Burning Down the House (adventuresweseek.com)
- Huffing and Puffing While the House Burns Down (grandmalin.wordpress.com)